Although Jill was raised in a small Indiana town, she always has had a yearning for the rugged outdoors. As a kid, she savored the freedom that came from cross country skiing through the rolling forested hills and along the shaded creeks of the hard woods of the Midwest. She put that calling on hold as she went on to get her degree and moved to Colorado to help design satellites.
While engineering filled the week days, the weekends were for exploring the mountains of the Colorado Rockies. She trained with the mountaineering club and joined the national ski patrol. She gave back to the outdoor community by becoming an outdoor emergency care instructor, avalanche safety instructor, and an active member in the local mountain search and rescue group. She also has been leading mountaineering trips for the Colorado Mountain Club for over 15 years. In 2015 she moved out of the engineering office cubical and converted to professional guiding and outdoor instructing.
- AIARE Level 1, and Level 2 Instructor
- AIARE Instructor Training Course
- AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course Certified
- AIARE Professional Level 1
- National Ski Patrol:
- Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC), OEC Instructor,
- Mountain Travel and Rescue (MTR)—Level 1, Level 2, Instructor
- Avalanche: Level 1, Level 2, Instructor
- Incident Command System: 100, 700, and 200
- Wilderness First Responder