All ages 12 and up
Traveling in the backcountry of the Colorado Rockies can be an intimidating undertaking. Mountain enthusiasts need to be well prepared to handle anything the mountains might throw at them. Learn how to approach and achieve mountain objectives with the guides at Apex Mountain School.
Certain peaks can be accessed through easier routes without the use of technical gear. In the Mountaineering 103 course we focus on preparing you for more technical routes. We will help you plan routes which are not so well marked whether they be on rock, ice or snow. Another important aspect of mountaineering is knowing how to act in case of an emergency. Crevasse rescue is one of the techniques we could help you develop.
We can work with you to enhance existing skills such as those covered in our Mountaineering 101 and 102 courses. We will also help to build new technical skills. Just as importantly, we will help you hone your mountain sense and judgement as our guides share with you their strategies for making the most of mountain environments.
Apex Mountain School’s Mountaineering series of courses offers a logical progression in your development as a mountaineer.
- Advanced alpine terrain selection and travel protocols
- Discuss different route options and select suitable terrain.
- Technical climbing on steep slopes
- Experience climbing on breathtaking terrain in the heart of Colorado’s Rockies.
- Moving rope belays and roped team efficiencies
- Advanced lessons in rope management and belay techniques.
- Learn to be efficient while moving between different terrain and techniques.
- Crevasse rescue
- An important skill in any glaciated mountain environment.
- Incorporating mixed mediums
MOUNTAINEERING 103 – QUICK INFO
Learn skills essential to traveling and surviving in the mountains, including navigation, ice climbing and snow travel.
All ages 12 and up
Leadville, CO (Chalk Creek)
Vail, CO (Meadow Mountain)
San Juan Range
Moderate – Difficult
See our inclusion policy for special group requests.
WHAT TO BRING
- Beacon (rental available)
- *No cotton – cotton does not wick moisture or insulate when wet.
- Synthetic or wool long underwear bottom (thin)
- Synthetic or wool long sleeve top (medium)
- Mid layer top and bottom
- Synthetic or wool socks
- Winter jacket
- Insulated “Puffy” Jacket
- Snow pants
- Warm gloves or mittens
- Hat and neck gaiter or balaclava
- Goggles or sunglasses
- Small day pack
- Water bottle
- Hand warmers
- Thermos of hot liquid
- Extra gloves
- Lip balm
- Water bottle insulator
APEX MOUNTAIN SCHOOL PROVIDES
- Ice Axes
- Harness (42”/44” max)
During times of Covid-19 concern please bring:
Face mask, Hand Sanitizer, Rubber Gloves (if desired)