Midwest-grown on the Door Peninsula of Wisconsin, Stewart Birmingham feels fortunate to have been raised by parents who shared the greatness of skiing and were willing to put-up with the 3.5-hr drive to the nearest 350′ vertical icy hill with a chairlift. His love for skiing grew instantaneously and has since brought him to some jaw-dropping places and amazing people. He has worked very hard to create a career in ski-guiding, avalanche education, and heli-ski guiding, as his love for skiing is something he truly wishes to share with others.
His favorite foods include Eggs, Avacados and Sri Racha (on everything). In the future he hopes to make the following descents:
- Messner Couloir (Denali),
- Wickersham Wall (Denali),
- Landry Line (CO),
- Detention Center (Chugach, AK),
- Pontoon (Chugach, AK)
Now, at age 31, he has planted roots here in East Vail, CO (for 11 years now) where he enjoys life with his wife and 7-year-old daughter. He has the privilege to work a career in avalanche education and ski-guiding for Apex Mountain School here in the Vail Valley, as well as spending the latter half of his winter in Cordova, AK, where he works as a heli-ski guide for Points-North Heli Adventures. Guiding others down some of the terrain he used to salivate over in ski movies all day and turning people on to their best days of their lives has proven to be a most satisfactory experience, to say the least. He’s also recently enjoyed rock-guiding with Apex in the summer months, the time of year when he’s usually helping to run his businesses in the florist and property management realms.
Stewart is also part of Apex Mountain Schools Emergency Response Team.
- AMGA Alpine Skills Course
- AMGA Ski Guide Course
- AMGA Advanced Ski Guide Course / Aspirant Exam
- AMGA Professional Member
- AAI Pro Avalanche
- AAI Professional Rescue Course
- AAI Mountain Weather Forecasting Course
- AAI Advanced Alaskan Mountain Weather Forecasting Course
- AIARE Level 1 & 2 Instructor
- AAA Professional Member
- Apex Mountain School Emergency Response Team member
- HSUS Mechanized Ski Guide Certification
- Wilderness First Responder
- CPR/AED Certified