Scott Smith, founding Director of Apex Mountain School, guides private requests, oversees daily private and oversees course outings. He also instructs open-enrollment and private avalanche education/alpine trainings. Furthermore, all group and corporate team building events are led by Scott. A testament to his driving passion for promoting change and growth, he thrives on the power of the mountains to enrich lives.
Scott enjoys climbing and guiding single- and multi-pitch rock, ice and alpine terrain, backcountry ski/split touring and descents. He takes delight in private hut outings and working with groups and corporations. In contrast, when he steps away, Scott heads for the big stone of Zion, Red Rocks, Rocky Mountain National Park, and The Black Canyon of The Gunnison. Scott has professionally trained through the AMGA and AIARE and been mentored by revered world class guides and climbers. His primary focus is on providing the utmost in client satisfaction, while sharing his passion for the mountains. His greatest teacher is his 16-year old daughter, Kylee.
Above all, Scott’s humble nature shows in how he has modeled Apex Mountain School. The priority is the safety and satisfaction of the client. Likewise, every member of Apex’s team of guides reflects this model. As a result, proper education, experience and training are key elements of success.
- AMGA Rock Instructor Certified
- AMGA Alpine-Ice Instructor Course
- Professional Member, AMGA
- AIARE Level 1, 2 and 3
- AIARE Level 1 and 2 ITC
- AIARE Lead Level 1 and 2 Instructor
- Apex Mountain School Emergency Response Team lead
- AAA Professional Member
- Professionally trained Commercial Mountain Guide, Rock Guide
- 30+ years climbing experience; 20+ years guiding experience
- Professionally trained in Self Rescue
- Wilderness First Responder
- CPR/First Aid
- American Alpine Club Member
- Access Fund Member
- Myers-Briggs certified practitioner
- FIRO Business Leadership practitioner
- Thomas-Kilmann Instrument certified
- 30 year Vail Valley resident