Scott Smith, founding Director of Apex Mountain School, guides private requests, oversees daily private and course outings. He also instructs open-enrollment and private avalanche education/alpine trainings. Furthermore, all group and corporate team building events are leaded by Scott as well. A testament to his driving passion for promoting change and growth, he thrives on the power of the mountains to enrich lives.
Scott enjoys climbing and guiding single- and multi-pitch rock, ice and alpine terrain, backcountry ski touring and descents. Also, he takes delight in private hut outings and working with groups and corporations. In contrast, when he steps away, Scott heads for the big stone of Zion, Red Rocks, Rocky Mountain National Park, and The Black Canyon of The Gunnison. The next destination on his list is Cirque of the Unclimbables and Pakistan. Most noteworthy, he has professionally trained through the AMGA and been mentored by revered world class guides and climbers. His primary focus is on providing the utmost in client satisfaction, while sharing his passion for the mountains. His greatest teacher is his 15-year old daughter, Kylee.
Above all, Scott’s humble nature shows in how he has modeled Apex Mountain School. The priority is the safety and satisfaction of the client. Likewise, every member of Apex’s team of guides reflect this model. As a result, proper education, experience and training are key elements of success.
- Rock Instructor Certified
- Alpine-Ice Instructor Course
- Professional Member
- Level 1, 2 and 3
- Level 1 and 2 ITC
- Lead Level 1 and 2 Instructor
- AAA Professional Member
- Professionally trained Commercial Mountain Guide, Rock Guide
- 30 years climbing experience; 20 years guiding experience
- Professionally trained in Self Rescue
- Wilderness First Responder
- CPR/First Aid
- American Alpine Club Member
- Access Fund Member
- Myers-Briggs certified practitioner
- FIRO Business Leadership practitioner
- Thomas-Kilmann Instrument
- 30 year Vail Valley resident