Learn skills essential to traveling and surviving in the mountains, including navigation, avalanche education, ice climbing and snow travel.
- Available daily as private outing.
Duration2 day course
- Leadville, CO (Chalk Creek)
- Vail, CO (Meadow Mountain)
- San Juan Range
- Per person, per day, per guide.
- $720 (1p)
- $360 (2)
- $295 (3)
- $265 (4)
- $255 (5)
- Larger groups are welcome! Call 970-949-9111 for pricing and details.
Intermediate to Advanced
The mountains, more than any other terrain on earth, require that you have an intimate knowledge of how to safely and efficiently travel through them. In our Mountaineering 103 course we will equip you with the knowledge to make safe decisions in the mountains as your objectives become more technical and complex.
Whether your goal is an 8,000 meter peak in the Himalaya or a highly technical ascent such as Denali’s Cassin Ridge, we will work with you to develop your technical climbing skills and knowledge base so that you can move efficiently and confidently over terrain consisting of a mixture of rock, snow and ice.
Building upon and reinforcing many of the topics covered previously in Mountaineering 101 and 102, we will focus on teaching you how to move across the more technical terrain that you may encounter on your climbs. From steep ice falls to challenging mixed climbs consisting or rock and ice, many mountains will demand that you have the knowledge and confidence to travel on every type of alpine terrain.
Topics that will be covered in Mountaineering 103:
- Advanced alpine terrain selection and travel protocols
- Technical climbing on steep slopes
- Moving rope belays and roped team efficiencies
- Crevasse rescue
- Incorporating mixed mediums- rock/snow/ice
Advanced reservations are required. Some personal items provided by participant(s); see the gear list tab above.
Register at the Book It tab above, call (970) 949-9111 or use our contact page.
What to bring:
- Beacon (rental available)
- *No cotton – cotton does not wick moisture or insulate when wet.
- Sleeping bag (calibrated to current nightime temps
- Closed cell sleeping pad
- Inflatable sleeping pad
- Fleece top
- Insulating parka w/ hood
- 40-60 liter backpack
- Synthetic or wool long underwear bottom (thin)
- Synthetic or wool long sleeve top (medium)
- 2 pair Synthetic or wool socks
- Lightweight shell jacket with hood, pants, and gloves
- Fleece pants
- Shell pants with side zips
- Lightweight Glove Liners
- Warm Hat and neck gaiter. balaclava or buff
- Skis or splitboard
- Food and water for term of outing
- Small day pack
- Heavy plastic garbage bags
- First aid kit
- 2- 1 liter Water bottles
- Headlamp and extra batteries
You may also consider:
- Ice axe 50-65 cm shaft
- 2 locking carabiners
- Collapsible trekking poles
- 2 pair liner socks
- Multi tool
- Double length sling
- Belay/rappel device
- Compression stuff sack (we provide)
- Alpine climbing harness (we provide)
- Helmet (we provide)
- Crampon compatible boots (we provide)
- Crampons (we provide)
- Hand warmers
- Hot liquid
- Extra gloves
- Water bottle insulator
If you wish to complete your participant forms in advance, download and print out the pdf below. Complete both pages for each participant, and give to your guide at the beginning of your trip.
Click the button below to view our terms, conditions and cancellation policy.