Improve and expand upon the skills required to survive and climb in the mountains. Topics include navigation, avalanche education, snow travel and ice and rock climbing.
- Available daily as private outing.
Duration2 day Course
- Leadville, CO (Chalk Creek)
- Vail, CO (Meadow Mountain)
- San Juan Range
- Per person, per day, per guide.
- $720 (1p)
- $360 (2)
- $295 (3)
- $265 (4)
- $255 (5)
- Larger groups are welcome! Call 970-949-9111 for pricing and details.
Intermediate to Advanced
As the mountains you climb get bigger and more complex, they will continue to demand a higher level of technical skill and preparation. Our Intermediate Mountaineering 102 course can help to prepare you for these objectives as we build upon the topics covered in our Mountaineering 101 course or any prior experience you may have.
In our immersive 2-day course we will focus on reinforcing fundamentals such as winter travel, survival and climbing skills while preparing you for more technical and demanding ascents. With one of Colorado’s most beautiful mountain ranges as our playground, we will have access to complex and challenging terrain that is the perfect classroom for anyone aspiring to even the worlds tallest mountains.
Our Mountaineering 102 course will focus on the topics of:
- Self Arrest
- High Angle Self Rescue
- Team Rope Travel
- White Out Navigation
- Fixed Line Ascension
- Winter Snow Shelter Construction
- Winter Survival Skills
- May also include: backcountry AT/telemark technique.
Looking for more advanced training? We also offer comprehensive training packages such as our Seven Summits training or more advanced winter climbing classes such as our Mountaineering 103/
Advanced reservations are required. Some personal items provided by participant(s); see the gear list tab above.
Register at the Book It tab above, call (970) 949-9111 or use our contact page.
What to bring:
- Beacon (rental available)
- *No cotton – cotton does not wick moisture or insulate when wet.
- Sleeping bag (calibrated to current nightime temps
- Closed cell sleeping pad
- Inflatable sleeping pad
- Fleece top
- Insulating parka w/ hood
- 40-60 liter backpack
- Synthetic or wool long underwear bottom (thin)
- Synthetic or wool long sleeve top (medium)
- 2 pair Synthetic or wool socks
- Lightweight shell jacket with hood, pants, and gloves
- Fleece pants
- Shell pants with side zips
- Lightweight Glove Liners
- Warm Hat and neck gaiter. balaclava or buff
- Skis or splitboard
- Food and water for term of outing
- Small day pack
- Heavy plastic garbage bags
- First aid kit
- 2- 1 liter Water bottles
- Headlamp and extra batteries
You may also consider:
- Ice axe 50-65 cm shaft
- 2 locking carabiners
- Collapsible trekking poles
- 2 pair liner socks
- Multi tool
- Double length sling
- Belay/rappel device
- Compression stuff sack (we provide)
- Alpine climbing harness (we provide)
- Helmet (we provide)
- Crampon compatible boots (we provide)
- Crampons (we provide)
- Hand warmers
- Hot liquid
- Extra gloves
- Water bottle insulator
If you wish to complete your participant forms in advance, download and print out the pdf below. Complete both pages for each participant, and give to your guide at the beginning of your trip.
Click the button below to view our terms, conditions and cancellation policy.